DIY: Wood Work!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Untitled

John's been on a roll lately with all these diy's and crafting. Last week he helped me with invitations and this week he finally got around to some wood work. One of his long time buddies at work is also expecting a baby boy in Feb and has asked some of their co-workers to bring in some letters to contribute to the nursery. John picked the letter 'E' because all the other letters he wanted was taken. He said he wanted something different and not any from Michaels or whatever craft store because he knew thats where most people were gonna go. So what does he do? Makes his own letter of course! I wasnt really paying attention to him cuz I was doing something else and would just sneak in on him every now and then to check his progress. I know he started with one of the many scrap woods we have in the garage and sketched out the letter E before cutting it out! I was wondering what he was doing in the garage! Then he finally put to use the wood burner/carver that I bought him a few months ago to do the drawing of the rope to give it that rustic/nautical vibe. The couple has chosen a nautical theme for their boy's nursery, so I think this would be perfect!

Materials Used:
Scrap wood that we had (1 x 6, I believe is the size he used)
Dremmel Wood Kit to cut out the letter E, not sure which tip he used to cut it out.
Versatool Wood Burner/Carver (can be bought from any crafts store)

Total Cost: Free


Untitled

A few days later, he worked on the blocks that he cut up from scrap wood a few weeks ago. I finally stained it! I originally wanted baby H's name on it but I changed my mind and asked him to do 'explore' instead. I think Im gonna put his name somewhere else. I tease him about opening up our own shop and sell all of these things we've been making for the nursery! But keeping up with shop inventory would be a pain, so nah! With photography,  me working part-time, his work schedules and a baby on the way.. I think we have our hands full already. Plus he plans on going back to school in the next few months so keeping up with a shop would be too much to add to our agenda!

Untitled

It turned out pretty neat!! I love how the original wood is exposed through the stain. I didnt do that intentionally, I was trying to get it stained quick so that I dont spend too much time inhaling the smell! It took me about 5 minutes to stain all 7 blocks. I like how it turned out anyway! It is now displayed on the shelf!  I'm gonna have him work on more blocks for another project! Its for something i'll need for when the baby is born! ;]

Materials Used:
2 x 2 wood (from scrap wood we have in the garage) cut into blocks
Saw
Rustoleum Stain - Carrington (left over from another project)
Versatool Wood burner/carver

Total Cost: Free

Untitled

I love when I catch them sleeping and cuddle on the couch! If they aren't on me, they're cuddle up next to each other! We say that Pax likes to cuddle with me during the day and come night time, he loves cuddling with Dada. I love these two and soon I get to add one more boy to this picture! I cant wait!!

Xx,
Jenn

You Might Also Like

0 comments