Our Birth Story (II): Amelia Cassidy

Friday, January 11, 2019

Since Ive been gone for more than two years, I figured I'd do a little introduction on our sweet girl! 
Amelia Cassidy was born on June 23, 2017 sometime around 7:50 pm. Bare with me as I dont remember all the exact details! This was, after all, 18 months ago! Anyway, I learned from my labor with Tristan to wait it out. I remember waking up that morning and instantly knew I was going to be in labor soon cuz my contractions where off the wall! They weren't super painful yet, but by 10a.m. I started calling everyone that needed to know. I called John who had duty the night before and was at work, and of course I couldn't get a hold of him! So, I put it out there on social media and someone from his work relayed the message to him. He was home by 11am. I also called my sister who was at work as well, and she was able to come home after lunch time. 

ameliabirthblog (3 of 26)
In contrary to my experience with Tristan, we didn't rush to the hospital. I made sure to take a nice warm shower, fixed myself up, took photos with Tristan one last time before he officially became a big bro, and ate a little bit because I knew once I got to the hospital, that was it. Ice chips all day. Lol! Around 3:00 pm, we finally decided to head to the hospital because my contractions were getting closer and closer. By the time we got to the hospital, I couldn't even stand straight anymore. I didnt have to wait in the triage room, or whatever room it was that I waited the first time. They rolled me in a wheelchair straight to the birthing room. It turns out, I was already 5cm dilated. 

ameliabirthblog (4 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (5 of 26)

I was checked in, changed, hooked up to monitors and on that bed by 4:20pm. It all happened so fast. There was no waiting around for 12 hours like we did with Tristan. Luckily I got to say good bye and kiss him goodnight and got some more photos before my sister dropped him off at his Godparent's house where he will be staying the night. 

ameliabirthblog (6 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (7 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (8 of 26)

Three hours later, around 7:40pm, I pushed for about 10 minutes and out came our sweet girl, Amelia. It was the easiest labor compared to what I went through with Tristan! No rips, nothing. I felt a lot better this time too. I went straight into breast feeding and she latched on like a champ! Thank goodness! We also asked them to take her into the nursery so we could actually get some sleep this time. What a difference it made!! We were out of the hospital and at home by June 25! John took the 10 straight days vs. breaking it up! My parents flew in 5 days after I gave birth and they were huge help!! 

ameliabirthblog (10 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (11 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (12 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (13 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (14 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (15 of 26)

We had several visitors while we were at the hospital. But our favorite one was when Tristan first met Amelia! He walked in and I swear it felt like he became a big kid over night. He looked taller, but I know it was just me and it was all in my head. He was more excited to see the balloons in the room than meet his sister though! Haha! After grabbing a balloon, we sat him on t he bed and he finally got to meet Amelia. He saw her and said "baby?" and then he gave her a kiss on the forehead without us even asking him too! It was the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Im glad my sister caught it on video! Tristan also had a "big brother" gift basket waiting for him in the hospital room that I had put together before I went into labor. I also made them t-shirts that said "biggie" and "smalls" that they both wore at the hospital!

ameliabirthblog (16 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (17 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (18 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (20 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (21 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (24 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (25 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (22 of 26)
ameliabirthblog (19 of 26)

This birth experience was bliss! I was up and walking that evening after I gave birth. It took me at least a week to recover from Tristan. I think its because I already knew what to expect this time around and I kept note of what to do and not to do from my first birth experience! John was also much more of a pro this time around! Its like he was meant to be a Dad of two! As Ive mentioned already, Amelia was an easy infant. Slept, ate and pooped like a champ! I didnt feel any sleep deprivation at all! We were getting 6-7 hours of sleep a night, sometimes even longer. She is definitely the perfect addition to our little tribe! It helps keep the household balanced! ;)


ameliabirthblog (26 of 26)


You Might Also Like

0 comments